Thursday, April 1, 2010

Whitetail Deer

Whitetail Deer

The deer in this photograph is a little blurry because it was moving too quickly and the light was not bright enough on that cloudy morning for the camera to capture a sharp image. The autofocus also tends to lock on to any brush in the foreground as well. I was fumbling with the settings on my camera when a group of about four deer were trying to sneak past me without attracting my attention. I became aware of them when I heard a twig snap and I looked up. At that point they stopped sneaking and started bounding through the woods. I had enough presence of mind to unzoom my lens to capture a wide area because it would be too hard to find them through the narrow field of view at 500mm when they were moving fast.

Inrerestingly, they crossed the open area shown below one at a time like soldiers dashing from cover to cover. That should have given me a lot of time to photograph each one. It did. I have three more blurs which are even less informative than the one above.

I should have been more alert because I saw deer tracks made after the rain stopped that morning going into the area which was bounded by a road on one side and water on two other sides. I thought it very likely that I would at least see them before I left that part of the wildlife sanctuary.

Whitetail Deer

Click on an image for a larger version.

Whitetail Deer, April 1, 2010
Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary, Natick, MA
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS

Home: http://o3cpcs.blogspot.com
All posts from April 1, 2010:
http://o3cpcs.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html


Click on a label below to see more posts on that subject.

No comments: